2008-03-19

Miso Soup Is Not "Soup"

Outside Japan, there are Japanese restaurants run by people not familiar with real Japanese food and way. What bugs me at those places is the way miso soup is served. Those restaurants serve miso soup as soup in a western style meal -- miso soup is served before the entré and the restaurant assume it to be finished before that. This doesn't happen at genuine Japanese restaurants.

Miso soup is not "soup". It's made to be eaten with steamed rice. If you feel miso soup is too salty when you eat it by itself, you are right. Otherwise, it doesn't taste good when it's eaten with rice.

I don't go such restaurants voluntarily. But sometimes those are my non Japanese friends' favorites and I sometimes accompany them. I leave miso soup uneaten until the entré is served. Sometime, a waiter tries to take away untouched miso soup assuming I don't have it, in which case I need to defend my miso soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The same thing might apply to "soy source." When you eat sushi, you don't soak a sushi peace in soy source and make it look like the peace is floating in a sea of source. If you are talking about "source" it probably is ok to soak it, but I think the right way or proper way is just to put a hint of soy source to the peace and eat. We just might want to call them "misoshiru" and "shoyu" instead of soup and source. Not that I feel obliged to speak up though. Just a fun thought.